In 1889, Edward Churchill - a Napa founding father and town banker - built his magnificent mansion on Brown Street (then "Grant Street") considered to be the original street of the Napa founders. Churchill Manor was intended to be a tribute and legacy for the city of Napa.
The town, with its Napa River, was best known as an active steamship route from San Francisco. Many San Franciscans would sail up the river to attend grand parties held at Churchill Manor. In addition to banking, Edward also owned the Golden Ribbon Beer Brewery of Napa and the Tokalon Vineyard near Rutherford - now representing approximately 700-plus acres of the Robert Mondavi Winery.
Though Edward Churchill died in 1903, Churchill Manor remained in the family until 1956. During this era, Dorothy Churchill, his granddaughter, resided at the manor.
Dorothy's tenure included many weddings and social events. Rumor has it that the Depression and Prohibition eventually took a toll on the Churchill family wealth.
Consequently, Dorothy admitted boarders into Churchill Manor. Based on stories shared with us by former boarders, some of whom have returned to visit Churchill Manor, Dorothy's boarders were school teachers experiencing quite the "Bohemian" lifestyle in their grand mansion!
All Accommodations include: A delicious full breakfast served each morning in the original mosaic marble tiled sunroom and outside on the verandah; Napa Valley wines and cheeses offered from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. each evening in the main parlor; afternoon cookies baked fresh daily; complimentary tandem bicycles and croquet; music room with grand piano; game room with large TV and VCR; air conditioning, fire sprinklers and smoke detection; in-room telephones.